Sponsor an eLearning Centre in their School
With your gift……
The School receives:
- 25 Pentium IV computers
- Fully-loaded with educational software
- A comprehensive teacher training program for 5 teachers
- End of life equipment recycling and replacement
- A 12 month maintenance contract
- Mounted plaque (in your name) in the school you have sponsored
- Mounted plaque for your organisation
- Introduction to the School’s Principal (if you want a stronger link)
- Photo set of the eLearning Centre when it has been installed
- Certificate of Thanks
- Camara operates a social enterprise model which means that our Hubs charge each school for their eLearning Centre. They do this for a number of reasons: the school places much more value on the Centre if they have to pay something towards it; they feel lie they have more rights as a customer than as a beneficiary; and money raised by our Hubs helps sustain it as a service organisation. On average each school will contribute some €1,250 for their Centre. While this is a significant amount of money in Africa it is still heavily subsidised and substantially below what they would pay from a commercial provider.
- Machines are refurbished in our workshop in Dublin and then tested again in our local hub. They are typically between 3 and 5 years old.
- Software is a Linux-based ‘Ubuntu’ package that has been modified by Camara to include a large amount of free educational content: OpenOffice, Wikipedia, Camara Skills Builders.
- Each school is expected to send 5 teachers to Camara’s training program. This program covers basic ICT skills, simple hardware maintenance, and how to use computers with the curriculum.
- At the end of its life the school can return the computer to the Hub where it is recycled in an environmentally appropriate way and is replaced with a comparable machine at the same price.
- Technical support is provided by our Hub should any equipment fail.