IT Equipment Reuse and Recycling
Camara is an international social enterprise that reuses computers to deliver 21st century skills and improve education in disadvantaged communities across Africa, Haiti and Ireland. At our IT equipment collection and refurbishment centre in London, we securely data erase and refurbish old computer equipment for reuse. Anything that cannot be reused is properly recycled at an authorised WEEE facility in the UK.
We load the hardware with educational content and ship it to Camara’s in-country education hubs; who go on to supply it to schools along with teacher training in ICT, maintenance support and at the end of life, facilitate recycling.
Secure Data Erasure and Certification
- Each hard drive is erased using a US Department of Defence (DoD 5220.22-M) and NIST 800-88 compliant program that operates on a firmware level, making it impossible to retrieve any data.
- If the hard drive fails during wipe is physically removed, degaussed and crushed.
- Data destruction service can alternatively be provided at customer’s site location for more than 50 Hard Drives.
Nationwide Collection Service For Companies
- 24 hour turn around
- Collection fee may apply
Auditable Recycling Certification
- Your equipment will be assessed for reuse. Suitable items will be refurbished and shipped to schools to educate disadvantaged children.
- Any items that cannot be reused will be recycled at an authorised WEEE recycling facility.
- You will receive a certificate listing the make model and serial of all hard drive that were erased and all items received.
London Drop Off Location For Individuals
- Free service at: Unit F03, Parkhall Business Centre, 40 Martell Road, London SE21 8EN
- Monday to Friday 9AM to 5PM
- Local collection possible for a £5 donation fee – contact us to find out more.
Drop off location
Unit F03, Parkhall Business Centre,
40 Martell Road,
London SE21 8EN, United Kingdom
Phone:+44 (0) 20 8670 1225
Drop off times: Mon to Fri 9am – 5pm.
Camara Education GB
What happens when I give you my computer?
- Camara assess if it meets the minimum specification requirement and is working.
- We repair non working computers and use spare parts to refurbish others.
- Your hard drive is securely wiped and a new operating system is installed (Ubuntu or Windows 7).
- We load Edubuntu and the Camara Educational Package full of learning resources for teachers and students.
- The finished product is boxed and shipped to one of Camara’s Education Hubs in East Africa, Caribbean and Ireland.
- You computer is responsibly recycled at the end of its second life in an authorised WEEE facility.
See how Camara and Dell are working together to reuse your technology and bridge the digital divide.
Did you know that up to 500,000 computers are estimated to be discarded each year in Ireland, half of which are suitable for reuse? Did you know that your computer can enhance the education of a students around the globe?
Every computer that Camara reuses gives 21 children digital literacy. If you consider the amount of computers discarded in Ireland alone, over 5,000,000 children could receive 21st century computer skills. This will only happen if attitudes toward computer reuse change in Ireland.
The benefits of computer reuse are twofold. When you decide to donate your computer for reuse, not only are you transforming education, you are positively impacting the environment. Computer reuse is better for the environment than recycling – Aside from the sheer amount of waste involved, the main problem is that much of the equipment has components which are made of hazardous and toxic materials. These have a long life and are not biodegradable meaning computer disposal is now of major concern to our environment.