IT Equipment Reuse and Recycling
Camara is a registered Irish charity that provides highly secure and efficient solutions for your IT disposal needs. Operating since 2005, we have securely erased over 100,000 hard drives for businesses, government agencies, and private individuals.
Camara reuses technology to enhance education of disadvantaged students around the world. Any IT equipment which cannot be reused is recycled at an authorised WEEE facility.
Secure Data Erasure and Certification
- Each hard drive is erased using a US Department of Defence (DoD 5220.22-M) and NIST 800-88 compliant program that operates on a firmware level, making it impossible to retrieve any data.
- If the hard drive fails during wipe it is physically removed, degaussed and crushed.
- Data destruction service can alternatively be provided at customer’s site location for more than 50 Hard Drives.
Nationwide Collection Service For Companies
- 24 hour turn around
- Collection fee may apply
Auditable Recycling Certification
- Your equipment will be assessed for reuse. Suitable items will be refurbished and shipped to schools to educate disadvantaged children.
- Any items that cannot be reused will be recycled at an authorised WEEE recycling facility.
- You will receive a certificate listing the make model and serial of all hard drive that were erased and all items received.
Dublin Drop Off Location For Individuals
- Free service at Chapelizod Industrial Estate
- Monday to Friday 9AM to 5PM
Drop off location
Chapelizod Industrial Estate, Dublin 20
Phone: +353 (0) 1 652 2671
Drop off times: Mon to Fri 9am – 5pm.
What happens when I give you my computer?
- Camara assess if it meets the minimum specification requirement and is working.
- Computers that would typically be capable of reuse in African schools are as follows:
- Pentium 4 processor 2.0 GHz or higher
- 1 GB RAM or more
- 80GB Hard Drive or higher
- Camara installs an internally developed and customised version of Edubuntu called Camarabuntu which comes preloaded with loads of educational content, apps and games to make these computers reusable in classrooms.
- We repair non working computers and use spare parts to refurbish others.
- Your hard drive is securely wiped and a new operating system is installed (Ubuntu or Windows 7).
- We load Edubuntu and the Camara Educational Package full of learning resources for teachers and students.
- The finished product is boxed and shipped to one of Camara’s Education Hubs in East Africa, Caribbean and Ireland.
- You computer is responsibly recycled at the end of its second life in an authorised WEEE facility.
See how Camara and Dell are working together to reuse your technology and bridge the digital divide.
Did you know that up to 500,000 computers are estimated to be discarded each year in Ireland, half of which are suitable for reuse? Did you know that your computer can enhance the education of students around the globe?
Every computer that Camara reuses gives 21 children digital literacy. If you consider the amount of computers discarded in Ireland alone, over 5,000,000 children could receive 21st century computer skills. This will only happen if attitudes toward computer reuse change in Ireland.
The benefits of computer reuse are twofold. When you decide to donate your computer for reuse, not only are you transforming education, you are positively impacting the environment. Computer reuse is better for the environment than recycling – Aside from the sheer amount of waste involved, the main problem is that much of the equipment has components which are made of hazardous and toxic materials. These have a long life and are not biodegradable meaning computer disposal is now of major concern to our environment.