27th June – Day One – Brussels

After a lot of last minute packing and downloading updated skillbuilders I made it to the airport and met Niall. Our flight to Brussels was delayed for about 2 hours. I did the sleepy-head-banging thing for the whole flight and the Malarone was definitely taking affect with the crazy dreams. First leg over, and last hot shower for an indefinite amount of time. Next stop Africa. I nearly missed the shuttle to the airport because while paying for the rest of the group’s accommodation I forgot to pay for ours. I legged it back and sorted it on time, not without leaving my phone in the reception of the Holiday Inn. Hopefully the rest of the gang will pick it up next week.

I fell asleep on the plane before it took off, so when I woke up I got a bit of a shock to see clouds rather than a runway. I slept for the entire flight and every time I woke up there was a new piece of food waiting for me. Thanks Niall.

28th June – Day Two – Arrival in Kigali!

It was late when we arrived in Kigali, and after 40 minutes – a sigh of relief as our rucksacks appeared. There were masses of people in the airport. They weren’t holding a sign or anything, and they didn’t know what we looked like, but Benjamin and Eliezer spotted us a mile away! Eliezer teaches, and Benjamin is the finance Director in IPB – Institute Polytechnic de Byumba. This is the college we will spend the majority of July teaching in. The initial chat with Benjamin and Eliezer concluded that English is not as widely spoken in Rwanda as we first thought. After Kinyarwanda, the main language is French. Very few speak English.

It was hard to get a first impression of Kigali because it was very dark, but the hills were unmistakably noticeable. Rwanda is known as The Land of a Thousand Hills or La Pays de Mille Collines. And true enough, it was exactly what it said on the tin. My ears pop every ten minutes. A thousand yes, but hills? they are more like mountains. We passed the Gisozi Memorial Museum, the national park, and the very famous Hotel Des Mille Collines. Suddenly it was very real that we were in Rwanda.

Benjamin and Eliezer drove us to our hostel – Auberge La Caverne. Even though the government here are trying to eradicate the French language in favour of English, it is everywhere – shops, pubs, hotels and roadsigns all bear the French alternative. They took us to a small alley in the city where a lot of Forex bureaus were located, it was a bit shifty at first when about 15 guys surrounded the jeep offering the best deal. We got 100,200 Rwandan Francs for 100 Euro. Difficult currency to come to grips with at first. The accommodation was great, (apart from Niall’s smelly pillow) and the food was very welcome after the dodgy fish on the plane. We got 8 beers and 4 steak dinners for about 17 Euro. Benjamin and Eliezer talked to us for a long while over dinner, about their families, the school, and the culture here. Rwanda has two main beers Primus and Mutzig. Both are nicer than most beer at home.

29th June – Day Two – Kigali to Byumba

Today was Sunday so there was not a lot we could do on our list. Rwanda has a large denomination of Catholics and Protestants, and like many other African countries, mass and church is the focal point of the community and the culture. Therefore, Sunday is a day of rest, and not a lot of services and shops are open. Our main priority was to get Rwandan sim cards and credit. On the way to look for a phone shop we got our first sight of Kigali in daytime.

Its very like other African cities, but very unique with all the hills, and especially the driving. You definitely need a certain skill to drive in Rwanda. The general rule is that you use the other side of the road as a fast lane, as though you’re on a dual carriageway, and then you duck in to avoid oncoming traffic. You also use your car horn more often than your brake. It takes a bit of getting used to to say the least. There are no tuk tuks in Kigali (the three wheeled open air taxis that are common in Thailand and other African cities) instead the most common taxi apart from car and bus is the motorcycle taxi. You grab the helmet, jump in the back and try to scream your destination over all the hustle and bustle of car horns and loud music. I’m not brave enough to try one yet, and I’m not sure out insurance policy covers motorbikes, so we’ll steer clear of that one. All in all Kigali is buzzing, but we only saw a fraction of it.

We found a phone shop and got up and running with sims and credit. First call of course was to mammy. There is quite a big delay and credit gets eaten very quickly, but it is free to receive calls which is convenient. There was not much else we could do in Kigali until the next day so we headed for Byumba, the village we would spend the next 5 weeks. Byumba is an hour and a half from Kigali, and another hour north will bring you to the Ugandan border. Benjamin left us at the bus, and I was really excited about seeing the countryside. I was right to be excited. Byumba is at 2500 metres, so the journey is all up hill. The banana tree-lined roads are perched on the edges of cliffs and steep drops. The bus was spacious and airy, and the Mzungu spotting ensued. Most people we passed (especially the children) pointed and shouted Mzungu. And for some reason it cracks all parties up. Byumba is a bit more remote, and the immediate impression was that Mzungus are fairly uncommon here. When we got off the bus the atmosphere was strange. It could have been misconstrued as rude with the angry looks and cold stares, but once we tested our small bit of Kinyarwanda we learned that people here are immensely friendly, and very interested in people and their lives.

Eliezer met us and got us a taxi to our hostel. There was a problem with our original accommodation, so up until the ninth of July we will stay in the EER, an Anglican Church run guest house. We went up to the Urumuli hotel where we will move to on the 9th and had some fantastic spaghetti bolognese. On the short walk back to the EER we met some locals who were very welcoming, like Emmanuel, the local Reverend, Francis, a freelance photographer, and some motorcycle taxis whose side job is skin grafting.

After a much needed nap we had dinner in the EER. The waiter here, Elijah is from Kenya so he has fantastic English. He was very interested in knowing if myself and Niall had a husband and a wife back at home…and how many children we had. He gave us more background on Rwanda while we were watching the news. Today was the first ever conference of the East African Community, a great day for Rwanda.

30th June – Day Three – Busy in Kigali

Wow! The coffee for breakfast here is brilliant! I’ll definitely try to get my hands on some of that before I leave. Breakfast in general is great here. Piping hot toast, porridge, sweet tomatoes and bananas – a substantial way to start the busy day that lay ahead.

Eliezer brought us to the IPB for a full tour. It is a great building with lots of spacious classrooms and strong steel doors for the three computer labs. We met a lot of the staff there including Francois Xavier the computer teacher, but the students had just finished exams so it was relatively quiet on campus. After a while we met Professor Faustin, the Director of IPB and the local Rector. He’s a fascinating man, and has a very positive plan for his students. He regularly lectures in Stuttgart and Bremen Universities on philosophy.

He gave us his jeep for the day to do our things in Kigali. Benjamin drove us around for the day and was very patient with us. His English is good, but luckily Niall’s French is good as well, so communication wasn’t too much of a problem. His wife works for an American NGO in Kigali called Orphans Of Rwanda. They look after children and teenagers who have been orphaned due to the Genocide. Hopefully sometime we’ll visit her there and see what she does.

Our main worry about Rwanda was that it would be difficult to withdraw cash from ATMS as we couldn’t carry the entire budget in cash. Benjamin took us to the Bank of Kigali and it was no problem for me to withdraw cash using MasterCard. A quick text to Kevin back in Ireland so he could inform the group of this good news.

Our next stop was to the British Embassy to register ourselves and the group. There is no Irish Embassy in Kigali, so the British was the next best thing. We registered ourselves no problem, but the rest of the group were going to have to come in in person – something we didn’t have much time for, as teaching begins as soon as they arrive. Luckily though, we had photocopies of all their passports so we were able to do it for them.

Driving around Kigali, we realised that there is so much going on here. The city is booming, there are lots of initiatives, businesses, universities and a general air of positive development. The roads are cluttered with large plaques and billboards that bear messages of Genocide recovery. The advertising campaigns are clever and effective. One sign pictures a small child and it says “I was not alive during the Genocide, but I don’t want to live through another”. And thats only one example.

The heat in Kigali is sweltering, its very humid, heavy and sticky. Luckily in Byumba is more like a day in May in Ireland. Where you need to wear two hoodies at night!

Before going back to Byumba, we went to the customs to check on the computers. They would be heading to Byumba on Wednesday as tomorrow, Tuesday is Liberation day, a national holiday. We met one of the customs managers who showed us to the Camara computers. I couldn’t count the number of them because some weren’t visible, but it looked like they were all there. The boxes were in excellent condition, and they hadn’t received any abuse in transit by the looks of things. We opened one or two boxes and every thing looked intact and in order.

We got back to the EER and headed up to the Urumuli for some much needed dinner. On the way up there were about 20 children who were fascinated by blonde hair!

1st July – Day Four – Liberation Day & Gisenyi

Nothing was open today, and nobody works on this national holiday so Benjamin suggested that he take us to Gisenyi. Gisenyi is about 3 hours west of Kigali, right on the DRC (Congo) border.

The scenery on the way there was breathtaking. It was like a cross between driving through the set of Raising Arizona and River Wild. There were large mountainous ‘hills’ with gaping gorges and valleys, but they were lined with the kind of trees you’d expect to see in the Czech Republic covered in snow. The constant up and down road was like something from a cartoon, fantastic!

I was glad to be using this time to research some other schools and institutes further afield than Byumba so that Camara could link up with them next year. We arrived in Gisenyi and saw Lake Kivu for the first time. It was hard to believe it was a lake, it looked like an ocean. What a beautiful town. Everything is stacked on the banks of the lake, and it makes for a fantastical scene. John Hynde wouldn’t know what to do with this place.

We met Benjamin’s wife who was at his brothers house in the town. His brother had a beautiful garden with banana trees, mango trees, papaya trees and loads of flowers and shrubs with bright shocking colours. Niall picked up a shamrock and told them that this was our national symbol, but they weren’t too impressed – apparently shamrocks kill other flowers here. The three of them joined us and we went to Hotel Serena, one of the upmarket hotels in the area. It is right on the lake, and after the hot drive down we dived right in. The water was crystal clear. While swimming we met Bonafice, a young guy from Kenya who is working in a hotel in Kigali. Hopefully we’ll make it there sometime soon & see him again.

The swim felt great, but it got very cold all of a sudden and we were all very hungry. We went for dinner in a local restaurant. They had a big buffet of what you would expect to find in any buffet, great food. When we were eating Benjamin, his brother and Lisa, his wife tried to teach us some more Kinyarwanda. Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever be fluent in it! But we learned the basic hello, how are you, how much is it etc. And just when we were finishing our last bite, we got our first power cut! The food looked very blue when lit with the torch on my phone, but the power came back on in no time.

After dinner we went back to the hotel because there was a band playing. They were deadly. They played mostly Rwandan music and then broke into a medley of Abba, gotta love it! They speak Swahili in the Congo so most people in Gisenyi speak it too. So i got to practice my whole 10 Swahili words! A lot of people here are very interested in what languages we speak in Ireland, and are generally shocked when we tell them that the majority of people only speak English. Here, every one speaks two or three fluently and a lot of them speak up to six!

2nd July – Day Five – Guinness, Hot Springs and back to Byumba

This morning Benjamin drove us to the other side of the lake to see the Guinness brewery! Right on the edge of the lake, theres a massive brewery that brews Primus, Mutzig, Guinness and Fanta. The smell of hops was so strong, it was like being back on Thomas Street! We told them that the Camara workshop in Dublin is next door to the Guinness brewery, so it was just like being at home. Then we drove down another part of the road. Top Gear have to come here, what a challenging road. I don’t know what was stronger – the smell of hops, or the smell of burning rubber. We went down to the very edge of the lake, not sure what they were showing us. There was about five or six thermal pools, with a blanket of steam rising from them. I dipped my hand in expecting it to be about 30 degrees but yanked it out immediately. It was actually boiling hot! The bottom of the little pools were lined with a silvery residue, probably rich in minerals, but they said the water had never been tested for medicinal use.

On the way back to Byumba we visited two institutions. One was a the government university ISAE. Here they teach things like Irrigation, Soil Mechanics, Agriculture etc. They insisted on showing us the piggery. I have a fear of pigs. It wasn’t good! The college was great though, they had two large computer labs all networked through a big server. I don’t think its the perfect Camara candidate. The next school was in Musanze, formerly Ruhengeri. It was about the size of DIT Aungier St. and Kevin St. put together. The facilities were phenomenal, including a massive cyber cafe. Again, a great college but I’m not sure if Camara would link with them.

I slept most of the way back to Byumba, waking up occasionally to the sound of the horn bullying trucks and kids out of the way. Apart from that small part in Gisenyi, the roads here are perfect, and very safe. Back to Byumba and then for dinner. Can’t wait for the rest of the group to arrive so the poker can begin.

3rd July – Day Six – Kigali Surge Protector Adventure

This morning we had an early start in IPB. Finally a chance to stock take, and all 184 computers were there. We explained and demonstrated Edubuntu/ Linux to Francois Xavier and he seemed to really like it. When he heard that there are no Linux viruses he even wanted to change the existing computers to Linux!

We always knew that surge protectors might pose a problem, but they didn’t know what they’re purpose was, where to get them or how many to get. Today is Thursday and teaching is due to start on Monday. We needed to resolve the problem, and fast. We went with Aloys, the electrician, to Kigali on the bus to help him look for surge protectors as we were afraid he would come back with the wrong thing. It was a tough job because it was hard to communicate what they looked like, and the importance of having enough surge protection for all the computers. Also, today Kigali seemed particularly hot. We found them, but there were only 5 in stock. So Aloys bought 5 and 25 adapters. That is enough for 12 computers, so a fifth of the problem is sorted. On Saturday he will get more. The bus home was unbelievably crowded. I made a mental note not to wear trousers with any buttons or zips on the legs if traveling on a crowed bus in future! Its like I have a tattoo!

In the evening we wanted to pay a deposit for the accommodation in Urumuli in case history would repeat itself and our booking would disappear. However they said it wasn’t necessary and our booking is confirmed. Urumuli has a good Internet room as well so we checked email etc, but the connection is still very slow.

4th July – Day Seven – Independence Day & Torrential Rain

The 4th of July is famously known as Independence Day in America, but in Rwanda it is Independence Day here as it marks the end of the Genocide in 94 – another national holiday.

There were lots of celebrations taking place throughout Byumba and Rwanda, and we got a chance to catch up on some work.

In the morning we went to IPB and went through the curriculum and the teaching schedule with Eliezer. We got that sorted fairly quickly. We helped set up the first computer lab. Its a great room with lots of windows and light, and a high ceiling. It seemed that surge protection was still a confusing issue as the plan was to power all 20 computers with extension leads all running from one surge protector. We worked out the voltage and every classroom needs at least 4 surge protectors. That totals at 7 more to buy, not too bad. Aloys will buy them in Kigali tomorrow. Some of the computers need some work, the hardware training coming in handy, but the majority of them are in working order. As it was Independence Day we headed off at 12 and walked back to EER. It only took about 40 minutes and we just missed the rain. It rained in showers all day.

We had lunch and bumped into three men from Holland. They are with the national TV station there. They are making a documentary on social therapy in Rwanda and Holland. There was a sound man, a cameraman and a Director. The Director stereotype lived up to its reputation, but the cameraman and sound man were very friendly and interesting. (To me anyway) I bombarded them with questions about the documentary and the equipment the are using. They had some really good advice on the social skills needed to make a good documentary, but that might be too boring for here. The camera is a Sony DSR N500, about 19,000 Euro new. I asked his opinion on the Sony Z1E that I use in college which is about a third of the price, and he said that its better! Technology eh. He lectures in the Dutch Film School, so I was dying to ask him questions but they had to leave to catch their flight.

We bumped into a Rwandan student who used to study at IPB, and he might help us teach some classes next week. I gave him my guitar to play and he attracted a decent crowd – glad i brought it!.

That night we went up to the Urumuli for dinner. We met Albert, the chief of Police here in Byumba and he invited us to the Independence Day celebrations which was on in another part of the hotel. The party was in a huge hall, loads of people were dancing, a band was playing traditional Rwandan music and Mutzig and Guinness were there for the taking. Its an understatement to say that we were welcome. After much dancing and mingling we felt like we’d met the whole town. In particular, we met a lady called Peninah who has her own beauty salon in the town and somehow she finds time to coach the Rwandan Girls Soccer team! Hopefully we will get to see them play next Friday night, we might even chance a match!

5th July – Day Eight – Take Two and Add Seven

Last night was a late one, but it was great to meet the amount of people we did, and to join in on a local event (even though we stuck out like sore thumbs). We got up early to arrange transport for the team for the month. After much negotiation, minibus inspection, and more negotiation we were sorted with transport, and we drew up a contract in Kinyarwanda and in English.

A quick double check that the rooms for the group were still booked, and then we headed off to Kigali in the the ‘Rwandanator’. We thought it would save time to buy sim cards for the group before they arrived, so that we did. En route to the airport we stopped at Benjamin’s house in Kigali to drop off his bags. We met his lovely children Naomi and Liza. Its tradition in Rwanda that if you enter someones house, you can’t leave without having a beer, we weren’t going to be rude and break tradition. From the house you can see the airstrip where the Belgian flights land, and when the Brussels plane arrived, that was our que to go.

Anne Marie and Fiona emerged first, but the rest of the group had some trouble with their bags. Finally we were reunited and Team Rwanda was born. We got a great exchange rate in the airport, and then on for some goat buffet in the city! It was a long trip back to Byumba as the group were shattered from the trip, but spirits were as high as the Mille Collines.

6th July – Day Nine – Booting the Kernel.

Mass was at 6am today, but there was a unanimous decision to get a rest – Next week.

We got filled up with malarone and eggs and headed off to the IPB to test the labs and get them ready for teaching the next day. It took a long time to test all three labs, clean the computers, distribute surge protection, and re-install or replace where needed. All in all though they were running smoothly and ready for action.

Sabine, the administrator cooked us some broschette – Goat kebabs and plantane, they were unbelievably good!

We had a few drinks and a quick plan of action discussion and back to the EER for bed.

7th July – Day Ten – Computer: A Machine That Never Makes A Mistake.

Diane speaks English, French, German and Czech – by the end of July she’ll be fluent in Kinyarwanda! One of the words she learned today was the word for ‘computer’. The literal translation of the word is a machine that never makes a mistake. That kept us going for a while.

Teaching began gradually. Two labs were good to go from the beginning, but by the end of the day 60 people had been introduced to computer basics over the three functioning labs.

Niall and I had a hectic day in Kigali. Communication is tougher that we thought it would be, but we always get there – it just takes much longer. There was a problem with the sim cards we bought for the group, so we exchanged them with much difficulty, but after about 2 hours we had 7 sim cards tried and tested, and a new phone for Terri.

Benjamin helped us with the bank, internet and supermarket so after all the housekeeping we headed back to Byumba. The groups teaching reports were all very positive.

Instead of going for a drink to the hotel, we decided to try the local ‘shebeen’, as we’re now calling it. The place only has two seats so we had trouble all squeezing in. The barmaid came out with a light bulb on the end of a long wire and hung it on the ceiling of a hut outside, and our new spot was ready. The poker began. Poor Niall, we were useless.

8th July – Day Eleven – Inconspicuous Never Won The Race

Day two of teaching. Again it went well, even though a new bunch of people arrived.

Myself and Niall made another trip to Kigali, this time with no Kinyarwanda speaker. But we managed! We spent the day sorting the invoices and contracts for both accommodations and the bus. Multilingual ‘fun’.

On the bus on the way home, Kevin showed us his Inconspicuous photo taking method. Its a good thing he’s thick skinned.

9th July – Day Twelve – Urumuli

This morning the group loaded all their bags into one room and we checked out.

Myself and Niall moved the luggage to the new accommodation while the group started teaching. We tried to make a schedule for the teaching, but it proved tough as IPB weren’t too sure about the numbers. We agreed to the possibility of teaching in the evenings rather than in the morning and the afternoon. Marie arrived from Uganda today.

10th July – Day Thirteen – Exploring Byumba

Teaching went very well today, despite some problems with electricity. Wikipedia as ever went down great. Its always very interesting to see what people want to read about – Mostly Jesus and Israel. We had lunch in the nearby guesthouse which is much handier than traveling back to the EER or the hotel.

After teaching Anne Marie, Melanie and Yseult went for a run, and the rest of us went to the town centre to do some exploring. We met Peninah again and she welcomed us into her salon. As she was showing us around Kevin waited outside and made a new friend. (pictures will follow). She took us over to a little bar. The barman was Kamzungu, who we had met at the party a few nights ago. The shop owner Johnny from next door came in, who was also at the party – feels like we’ve been here for months!

11th July – Day Fourteen – Bist Du Fertig

The last day of teaching. The participants were sad to leave Calc and the like, and the feedback so far has been very positive. Anne Marie and Fiona went with Benjamin to Kigali in the afternoon to begin making plans for the weekend.

During lunchtime I heard a phrase I’ve heard here for the third time – If you don’t break, you will be broken – very apt for the weekend ahead.

We arrived in Kigali before it was dark. We were staying in the Auberge again, and we had some well earned drinks before checking in. Faustin invited a friend over from Germany for a week, but he was unavailable for the weekend. So, Alexander hung out with us. He has his own marketing and advertising company in Germany. We set out to find some food that wasn’t goat. we wandered around Kigali without much luck. Eventually we decided to go to the UTC (main centre) to have burgers and typically American food. Kevin was delighted with the coffee 🙂

After that we headed in search of a local pub. We found a run down place overlooking the city, we had Amurula all round, apart from Kevin who sentimentally had some Tusker, the taste of this time last year. We were all pretty whacked from the week, and were pretty sure ‘we couldn’t find a nightclub from what the guide book was saying. The ‘Beyonce-ified club with bootylicious splendor’ was the other side of the city. Pity, so we retreated back to the hostel. On the way in the gate, an old guy sitting on a chair outside the run down building attached to our hostel said ‘would you like to dancing?’. Not really sure what he meant, we rounded ourselves into those willing to check it out. Myself, Niall, Alexander, Yseult, and Fiona wandered into the place. It was psychedelically eye boggling! The carpet was glow in the dark splatter-painted, and as Niall said, the records they were playing must have come free with the carpet, from the same era. There were mirrors, shiny things and lights everywhere, it took a long while to adjust!. It was pretty empty but eventually it filled up. In between the Rwandan hits, the DJ played Shaggy and Oh What a Night. No kiddin.

12th July – Day Fifteen – Genocide Memorial & Camping.

Anne – Marie and Fiona were organising the weekend events for the group. Emmanuel’s bus that takes us to the school everyday wasn’t up for the challenge of the weekend, so they went in search of a 4×4. In the morning, the original bus they had booked fell through so we got sorted with 2 separate ones. We went to the Gisozi Genocide Memorial in Kigali. The memorial is broken into three parts. The first part is Rwanda before the Genocide, the second is the Genocide, and the third is Rwanda after the Genocide. There is also a section on Genocide all around the world including Cambodia, Armenia, and the Holocaust to name a few examples.

Outside there is a large wall which bares the names of victims that are accounted for so far, and there are a number of mass graves in the grounds. Thats a descriptive account, anything else wouldn’t do the experience justice.

We weren’t the happiest bunch heading off to Akagera National Park. We all felt a bit winded, a lot of the people we teach in the classrooms everyday must have similar shocking stories to what we witnessed in the museum. It was a quiet trip up to the north east.

On route to Akagera we passed a small town. Getare, the guide who accompanied us showed us the Bill Clinton and Bill Gates hosptial. He explained that this area has the highest number of people living with HIV. It is arguably the highest percentage in East Africa at 90% and growing. This was a shocking figure, but the reasons were more shocking. Getare explained that 5 years ago, when the help started to arrive, the figure was only 40%. The reason it jumped so drastically is because people began to contract the virus on purpose. Once they are HIV positive, they receive money, schooling, clothes, shelter and food. Getare explained that the psyche is that people feel they may as well contract the virus, else they’ll die of hunger. It was a daunting reality, especially when the village is right beside one of the biggest money makers of the country.

We arrived at the park and it was almost nightfall. Once we had registered, it took about 20 minutes to drive to the campsite, which was in the middle of the park. When we arrived it was pitch dark apart from the roaring fire. The tents were erected with the help of the vans’ headlights. 3 massive tents in perfect condition. We sat around the fire drinking beer and Ugandan vodka for most of the night. Luckily I brought my surfing shorts which had a built in bottle opener! And then the singing started. We had German songs, Rwandan songs, and Irish songs. It was great, if only we had some skewers to toast our bananas.

13th July – Day Sixteen – Tesco Safari

We got up at the crack of dawn, literally. 5am rise. Tents were packed up, dry bread was eaten, and showers took the form of a spray of deodorant and anti-bac handwash. We set off in the search for animals. First off we saw one giraffe and four zebra, (one with an ear missing under a rather nasty gash). Then about 2 hours passed with nothing. Then we saw some hippos and a really friendly baboon. We made our way to the other end of the park in search of elephants and possibly lions, and instead we had a lovely nap. Alas we were too late, but one giraffe and four zebra isn’t too bad. We headed back to the main town to return our beer bottles from the night before. Here, the bottles are more expensive than the beer, so if you bring back the bottle you get your deposit back. While sitting in the van Fiona spotted a restaurant about 2km away called the New Jambo. It was a great find and we were able to have lunch right on the lake.

When we got back to Kigali there was a bit of harsh negotiation needed to sort out payment. Dollar is now a dirty word among Team Rwanda.

14th July – Day Seventeen – Power Trip

Niall, Marie and myself had a decisive meeting with IPB about the long term plans for electricity supply to the labs, and it went well – all parties were happy.

Teaching went well again today, and we have formed a bit of a routine. After school the teams split into the runners, and the market go-ers. The market here is very big, and there are all kinds of fruit, material and spices etc. Terri bought a kettle and a stack of cups! Room 201 is now the tea room.