Dublin City Council Trail Blazes on Reuse of Retired Computers – minimising Co2 emissions and providing education to schools
* Camara made 18 Dublin City Council retired IT hardware collections in 2009 and to date in 2010.
* Camara have amassed over 350 computers in these collections making DCC one of Camara’s largest clients
* 75% of the computers have gone to schools in Kenya and Ethiopia and have will impact the ICT education of over 7600 children in 2010
* Retired computers in Dublin City Council have been sourced from a diverse range of functions including Roads and Traffic, Public Lighting, Health & Safety, Housing, Rates, IS, Legal, Human Resources, Finance and Waste Management Services. All dta has been wiped to US military standards.
* Mark Bennett Dublin City Council Green Business Officer has been huge help in facilitating departments who wish to send their retired IT hardware to Camara
* Assuming that 75% of DCC’s computers have been reused, the deferred Co2 emission savings from the reuse of DCC’s retired computers is in excess of 170,000 kgs.
* DCC also ran a successful green initiative where we collected retired home computers from their staff in a one day collection promotion at the Civic Office HQ.