As you may have seen or heard, Camara Education has entered into an outsourcing partnership with AMI, Ireland’s leading secure IT recycling company, with immediate effect. Read below for more information on how this affects your donation. As a result of this partnership we are only in a position to accept corporate donations and members of the public will no longer be able to drop off donations to our Chapelizod location in Dublin 20
Computer and Monitor Reuse and Recycling Services
Secure Data Erasure and Certification
- AMI operates to the highest international IT disposal standards and is the only Irish company to be certified to the ADISA IT Disposal Industry Standard
- If the hard drive fails during wipe it is physically removed and shredded.
Nationwide Collection Service For Companies
- Collection fee applies
- Secure Transportation
Auditable Recycling Certification
- Your equipment will be assessed for reuse. Suitable items will be refurbished and shipped to schools to educate disadvantaged children.
- Excess computers will be resold to help fund our activities
- Any items that cannot be reused will be recycled at an authorised WEEE recycling facility.
- You will receive a certificate listing the make model and serial of all hard drive that were erased and all items received.
Drop off location
Chapelizod Industrial Estate, Dublin 20, D20EW68
Phone: +353 (0) 1 652 2665
Drop off times: Mon to Fri 9am – 5pm (closed for lunch between 1 and 1.30pm).
What happens when I give you my computer?
- Camara assess if it meets the minimum specification requirement and is working.
- Computers that would typically be capable of reuse in African schools are as follows:
- Pentium 4 processor 2.0 GHz or higher
- 1 GB RAM or more
- 80GB Hard Drive or higher
- Camara installs an internally developed and customised version of Edubuntu called Camarabuntu which comes preloaded with loads of educational content, apps and games to make these computers reusable in classrooms.
- We repair non working computers and use spare parts to refurbish others.
- Your hard drive is securely wiped and a new operating system is installed (Ubuntu or Windows 7).
- We load Edubuntu and the Camara Educational Package full of learning resources for teachers and students.
- The finished product is boxed and shipped to one of Camara’s Education Hubs in East Africa, Caribbean and Ireland.
- You computer is responsibly recycled at the end of its second life in an authorised WEEE facility.
See how Camara and Dell are working together to reuse your technology and bridge the digital divide.
Did you know that up to 500,000 computers are estimated to be discarded each year in Ireland, half of which are suitable for reuse? Did you know that your computer can enhance the education of students around the globe?
Every computer that Camara reuses gives 21 children digital literacy. If you consider the amount of computers discarded in Ireland alone, over 5,000,000 children could receive 21st century computer skills. This will only happen if attitudes toward computer reuse change in Ireland.
The benefits of computer reuse are twofold. When you decide to donate your computer for reuse, not only are you transforming education, you are positively impacting the environment. Computer reuse is better for the environment than recycling – Aside from the sheer amount of waste involved, the main problem is that much of the equipment has components which are made of hazardous and toxic materials. These have a long life and are not biodegradable meaning computer disposal is now of major concern to our environment.
IT equipment which cannot be reused is recycled in an authorised WEEE facility.